As a dog trainer, I get asked a lot of questions about general dog care. One of the most common questions I am asked is “What are the benefits of feeding my dog on a schedule?” After consulting with your veterinarian, you can set your dog on a once, twice, or three times a day feeding schedule. I personally feed my dogs twice a day — morning and evening.
HERE IS A LIST OF SOME OF THE BENEFITS THAT COMES WITH SCHEDULED FEEDINGS:
1. Food regulation helps prevent canine obesity.
2. Development of a consistent “potty” routine.
3. Abnormalities in eating are quickly caught.
4. Creation of a positive bond by being the source of food.
5. Each dog will be eating the proper amount in a multi-dog home.
6. Provides a training motivator.
Scheduled feedings aren’t necessarily right for everyone so I encourage you to do whatever is best for you and your dog. However, if you are open to trying something new, then this is a great way to feed your furry friend!